With hurricane season upon us, one of the best things you can have is a portable generator to protect your family during a power outage.
For anyone who’s looking for a medium power portable generator at a lower price range, the DuroMax XP4000S Portable Generator could be a good choice.
This generator can deliver 4,000 watts of peak power or 3,300 watts of continuous power that can run your important appliances during blackouts.
Here’s the DuroMax XP4000S Generator review.
- Powerful 7 horsepower 4-Stroke OHV Forced-Air delivers power at a peak of 4,000 watts.
- Can run on propane, however, the output power will slightly drop.
- Equipped with Surge Arrest technology to protect from unwanted ignition burst.
- Built-in Spark Arrestor feature
- Good power output
- Economical to run
- Not CARB-compliant
- Plenty of Power – With 4,000 peak watts and 3,300 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads, from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools
- Powerful Engine – The DuroMax 208cc OHV engine is a workhorse that provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs, from powering high voltage appliances to heavy duty power tools
- Low Oil Shutoff – Protects your investment by automatically shutting the generator off when it senses that the oil is low
- Power Panel – The power panel includes a selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including: (2) 120V household outlets and (1) 120V 30A twist lock outlet. The panel also includes a voltmeter for measuring voltage output
- Complies with Emissions Standards – All DuroMax generators are both approved by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and CARB (California Air Resources Board) and follow strict guidelines to ensure our generators are as environmentally friendly as possible
Last update on 2021-12-01 at 14:28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
|Generator Type||Conventional Generator (Non-inverter)|
|Peak Watts||120V 4000W|
|Running Watts||3300 W|
|Start Type||Recoil, Electric|
|Fuel Type||Gasoline (also propane)|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||3.96 gallons (15L)|
|Run Time per Tankful||12 hours @ 50%|
|Item Weight||105 lbs|
|Noise Level (dBA)||69 dBA|
|Engine Displacement||208cc 7HP 4-Stroke OHV Forced-Air|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||24″ x 17″ x 17″|
|CARB Compliance||No (Not for sale in California)|
|Price||Click here for the latest pricing on Amazon|
DuroMax XP4000S Generator Review
Made From Powerful Engine That Built To Last
The DuroMax XP4000S 4,000 Watt Portable Generator is made from a 7-HP OHV 4-stroke engine in a heavy-duty frame that lasts for years.
The air-cooled engine design and the four-point isolated motor mounts provide cool and smooth operation.
To further increase its durability, a cast iron sleeve and steel bearings are included in the design to maximize the engine’s life.
If you’re going to run this generator at a high altitude above 5000 feet most of the time, make sure you send the generator to the dealer to perform carburetor modification.
It ensures the engine will meet each emission standard throughout its useful life.
What Can You Run On A 4000 Watt Generator?
The generator can generate 4000 watts of maximum wattage. It can easily run your typical appliances such as a full-size freezer, refrigerator, several lights, a sump pump, and an internet router.
For a short-term power outage, a 4000-watt power is adequate enough to power your essential electrical appliances, well at least it can keep your foods in the refrigerator fresh before the power back on.
|Tool or Appliance||Rated (Running) Watts||Additional Surge Watts|
|Electric water heater (40 gals)||4000||0|
|Radial arm saw||2500||0|
|Air compressor (1 HP)||1500||3000|
|Window air conditioner||1200||1800|
|Well water pump||1000||1500|
|Garage door opener||480||600|
More Safety Features Ahead
The generator is equipped with more safety features to keep all your appliances safe and the generator as well.
The outlets are circuit breaker protected so that they will automatically shut down whenever there’s a short circuit.
A low oil sensor feature prevents the engine from overheating and it will cause the engine to shut off whenever an insufficient oil arises, but before it happens there’s an oil warning light on the panel that that will indicate its insufficient supply.
A built-in Spark Arrestor will keep you safe from unwanted ignition bursts that may arise when starting the engine.
Power Panel Control
The full power panel is presented for simple operations. Starting with the engine switch at the left side with a low oil lamp alert below and followed by some safety precautions warnings when using the Genset.
On the center, you’ll notice the Voltmeter that indicates the generator’s actual voltage output. It follows with the circuit breaker switch to reactivate the generator’s normal operations.
Next on it is the 120v AC 30-Amp Twist-Lock receptacle NEMA5-20R to power up your tools and the two standard 120v AC outlets for your regular appliances.
The fuel gauge on top of the generator’s tank indicates the gas level. However, this generator doesn’t have a parallel operation ready to double the output power.
Quiet Operations – Less Than 69dBA
The DuroMax XP4000S 4,000w Portable Generator operates in silence, thanks to its Quiet muffler design that greatly reduces its noise to a highly acceptable level.
That being said, the generator passed the EPA test making it safe to use in any national park and the strict CARB compliance in which Californian residence can enjoy the benefits of it.
Please do note that this generator is not for sale in California state. If you’re a California resident, please continue reading for the best alternative (CARB-compliant) generator in the section below.
The fuel tank is made from heavy-duty steel that prevents any leaks, it can be filled with 3.96-gallon of gas that will last for more than 12-hours of usage with half load capacity.
Now you have more quality time to spend with your family during camping or finish your project faster at job-site.
I’ve spent some time reading all the real user reviews on Amazon about The DuroMax XP4000S generator and I found that many agreed that this generator is easy to operate and maintain, does what it’s supposed to do, and is great for the price.
Some of the users are impressed with the noise level of this generator. The noise is acceptable and better than some generators in the same class.
On the downside, many had complained that the overall build quality is hit and miss like it is sometimes hard to start and the output power was not as powerful as advertised especially when using propane.
If you want to drain the oil, it will be a bit tricky because the drain bolt location for the oil is directly under one of the cross members of the generator frame.
What Are The Best Alternative Of DuroMax XP4000S?
However, if you’re willing to stretch your budget a bit further, then you should take a closer look at the Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator.
It has a starting power of 4375 watts and a running power of 3500 watts. This generator has almost a similar running time and noise level as the DuroMax XP4000S.
One of the main advantages of this generator over the DuroMax XP4000S is that it is CARB compliant.
- DESIGNED FOR SAFETY: Includes a low oil shut-off sensor and holds 0.6-quarts of oil (recommended 10W-30)
- RELIABLE AND POWERFUL: At 4375 starting watts and 3500 running watts, enjoy up to 12 hours of run time on a full tank of gasoline with a noise level of 68 dBA from 23 feet
- COVERED OUTLETS: 120V 30A locking, 120V 30A RV and two 120V 20A outlets - Volt Guard built-in surge protector prevents overloads and keeps your appliances and equipment safe
- INTELLIGAUGE: Monitor voltage, frequency and operating hours with ease
- CHAMPION SUPPORT: Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
Last update on 2021-12-01 at 12:47 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The DuroMax XP4000S Generator is probably not the best generator out there in the market but considering its 4,000 watts power rating, excellent performance, good customer reviews, and inexpensive price, it is hard not to recommend it.
If you need a backup power that runs your house’s essential electric appliances during power outages and hurricanes, this generator is capable enough for the job.
With a Duramax portable generator, you can be sure to get the power you need when and where you need it. The best way to be prepared is to purchase a generator before the storm.