For anyone who’s looking for a versatile portable generator that can be powered by propane or gas, the DuroMax XP4400EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator should be the one to take into considerations.
Having more options gives you the advantage to choose between gas and propane depending on its availability.
Please continue reading this Duromax XP4400EH review to find out more details about this genny – everything covering the features, the good, and the bad.
Hopefully, it really helps you to decide on the best generator as backup power for your needs.
- Dual fuel will give you more options depending on the situation and fuel availability.
- It’s an electric starter type of generator.
- The generator noise is relatively low (<69 dBA).
- RV ready.
- Dual fuel.
- A lot of features at a reasonable price
- Electric starter
- Reasonably quiet in operation
- Slightly heavy
- Wish it’s coming together with recoil type starter
- Plenty of Power – With 4,400 starting watts and 3,500 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads, from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools
- Dual Fuel Technology – This generator runs on gasoline or propane, giving you the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice
- Powerful Engine – The DuroMax 210cc OHV engine is a workhorse that provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs, from powering high voltage appliances to heavy duty power tools
- MX2 Technology - Get the maximum power from each of the 120-volt receptacles. Choose between operating the generator at both 120V and 240V simultaneously, or at 120V only with full power. Ideal for usage with RVs
- Fully Featured Power Panel – The power panel includes a wide selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including: (2) 120V household GFCI outlets and (1) 120/240V 30A twist lock outlet. The panel also includes a voltmeter and 12V DC charging posts for charging external batteries
Last update on 2022-06-29 at 02:23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
|Generator||DuroMax XP4400EH Dual Fuel Electric Start|
|Generator Type||Dual Fuel Portable Generator (Non-inverter)|
|AC Rated Wattage (Gasoline)||3500W|
|AC Surge Wattage (Gasoline)||4400W|
|AC Rated Wattage (Propane)||3325W|
|AC Surge Wattage (Propane)||4180W|
|Start Type||Electric start|
|Fuel Type||Gasoline, Propane|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||3.96 Gallons (Gasoline), 20 Gallons (Propane)|
|Run Time per Tankful @ 50%||10 hours (Gasoline), 12 hours (5 Gallon Propane)|
|Item Weight||127 lbs|
|Noise Level (dBA)||<69 dBA|
|Engine Displacement||4-Stroke OHV Forced-Air, 212cc|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||24” x 17″ x 17″|
|CARB Compliance/ EPA Approved||Yes|
|Price||Click here for the latest pricing on Amazon|
Who Is This Generator For?
The Duromax XP4400EH is designed for those who are looking for dual fuel portable generator that can run on both gasoline and propane. This will give more flexibility and is cheaper to run especially on propane.
Sometimes the gas station nearby you might run out of gasoline supply and this will cause inconvenience during the hurricane seasons. By having the propane ready, you have an option in your hand.
The generator is perfectly suitable to use in job sites, houses, camping, and off-grid living. If dual fuel is not enough, then please read this article to find out the best tri-fuel generators available in the market.
Duromax XP4400EH Reviews
Made From Powerful Engine
The DuroMax XP4400EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator is made of a powerful 7 Horse Power engine that can deliver a maximum power output of 4,400 watts or 3,500 watts of continuous power.
With that kind of power, you can still run your fridge to prevent your foods from rotting, cooker to cook your foods, A/C unit, and watch movies on your HDTV during power shortage while others gone in the dark.
To give you an idea of how this generator can run your appliances or equipment, the table below is the estimated wattage requirements of common electrical devices:
|Tool or Appliance||Rated (Running) Watts||Additional Surge Watts|
|Electric water heater (40 gallons)||4000||0|
|Radial arm saw||2500||0|
|Air compressor (1 HP)||1500||3000|
|Air conditioner 13500 BTU||1200||1800|
|Microwave oven 1000 Watt||1000||0|
|Well water pump||1000||1500|
|Garage door opener||480||600|
If you need a bigger power the DuroMax XP10000E is one of the powerful generator available from DuroMax.
Duromax XP4400EH is not as quiet as the Honda and Yamaha but I found the noise level less than 69dBA is reasonably quiet for daily use. The table below shows how this generator is fair against everyday items.
Note: Sound Levels in decibels
|Everyday Items||Decibels (dBA)|
|Generator (Duromax XP4400EH)||60-70|
Propane gas is present in every household so that you can immediately use it anytime when electricity is shut off. When camping or on the job site, gas is more appropriate without the need to bring an extra weight through the gas tank. That was what versatility is all about.
Convenience Of Usage
There’s an electric start feature for painless operation and a reliable manual start that will run the engine in a single pull is a great option if the battery is low.
The unit is fully compatible with any size propane gas tank including the one you’re using for the barbecue grill. It will take you a few seconds to switch from gas to propane for your absolute convenience.
You can start using it in no time because of its simplicity to put together. An easy-to-understand manual is provided that will guide you through the entire process.
Rest assured that the engine will run smoothly without overheating due to its air-cooled design. It provides more outlets to accommodate all your home appliances, it provides three 120v 3-prong outlets and 120v/240v 30-Amp Twist-Lock that will run 3 power tools to finish your projects faster.
Intelligent Panel Design
The power panel is designed intelligently for your convenience of usage with lots of safety features to prevent your appliances from damaging and the generator itself.
This includes the circuit breaker that will cause the engine to automatically shut off whenever an overload arises. The low oil shutoff prevents the engine from damaging due to insufficient oil supply.
You can stop the engine instantly whenever you need it, thanks to its engine shutoff switch feature. You can keep track of the ideal voltage output to protect your delicate appliance from damaging through the Voltmeter on the panel.
If you love camping during vacation you can bring it anywhere due to its highly portable design. This includes a pair of all-terrain wheels so that you can roll it anywhere without worrying about a flat tire. In addition to that is a pull-up handle for easy tracking wherever you may wish to.
Duromax XP4400EH weighs 127 pounds and it’s not the lightweight in its class. You need a lot of strength to lift it up to your truck or RV.
After reading some of the feedback from the real owners on Amazon, they’re very pleased with the purchase. The generator is easy to use, reasonably priced, powerful, durable, and easy to switch to propane (and vice versa) when needed.
On the downside, many had complaints that the lack of support from DuraMax whenever there are some issues with their generators. Sometimes the quality is hit and miss.
However, I think those problems faced by some owners were the minority. From the Amazon customer reviews, it scores 4.3 out of 5.0 which indicates that the majority of buyers seem happy with it.
What Are The Best Alternative Of Duromax XP4400EH Portable Generator?
If you have read until this far and are still unsure whether to buy or not to buy this Duromax XP4400EH Dual Fuel generator, I would recommend the Westinghouse WGen3600DF Dual Fuel generator is another great option.
The Westinghouse WGen3600DF can run on gasoline and propane. The 212cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine is able to produce 3600 Rated Watts (4650 Peak Watts) on gasoline and 3240 Rated Watts (4650 Peak Watts) on propane.
Similar to Duromax XP4400EH, the Westinghouse WGen3600DF is an electric starter type and backup with a better customer support network for easy repair and part availability access.
- 3600 Rated Watts & 4650 Peak Watts (Gasoline); 3240 Rated Watts & 4650 Peak Watts (Propane); 4 Gallon Fuel Tank (with Fuel Gauge); Electric Push Button and Remote Start
- Intuitive Control Panel Features a 5-20R 120V Duplex Outlet, an RV-Ready TT-30R 30 Amp Outlet, and an L5-30R 30 Amp Outlet
- 212cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine; Long Lasting Cast Iron Engine Sleeve; Automatic Low Oil Shutdown
- Plug-and-Play! Comes With a Propane Regulator Hose, Handle, Heat Resistant Plastic Wheels with Never-Flat Polyurethane Tires, Oil, Funnel, Tool Kit, and User Manual; Minimal Assembly Required.
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in the Factory and May Contain Minimum Residual Oil and/or Fuel Odor; EPA and CARB Compliant; Backed By 3-Year Limited Service, Labor, and Parts Coverage and Nationwide Customer Service Network
Last update on 2022-06-29 at 01:17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Also related: Check out more dual fuel generator options here.
The Duromax XP4400EH Dual Fuel Generator is a perfect generator for emergency preparedness, job sites, and outdoor activities. Feature-wise, you get more out of it compare to any expensive unit. This alone brings an excellent value to the table.
If you’re thinking to purchase a versatile, affordable, and reliable portable generator, the DuroMax XP4400EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator is definitely a wise choice.